Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Best of 2014

As another year wraps up, I've taken some time to reflect on this year and all it has thrown at me.  I turned 27, had a MAJOR move, left Honduras and really great friends, and traveled to some amazing places.  So here are some of the highlights of the past year.

Finishing my Time in Honduras
Leaving SPS and my school in Honduras was bitter sweet.  I was beyond excited to try something new, but terrified of the changes I'd be making.  I would miss the comforts of Honduras and all of my wonderful friends, but it turned out to be an easier transition than I thought it would be.  I still miss Utila and my Honduran family (have some wine for me on the CNA balcony, guys!), but I am confident I made the right choice.

"If you've got something wrong go to Dr. John"

Travel
I got to go to so many places in 2014!  I rang in the new year in London (amazing), and spent multiple weekends in Utila and Copan.  My brother even came for a visit in Honduras, which was really exciting!  I also traveled to Panama and Nicaragua before I left Central America.


Moving to China
I can't believe I am living in Shanghai.  When I was searching for jobs last February, I was positive that China was the one place I would NOT end up.  Angola and Brazil were higher on my list when I left the job fair in Boston, which is pretty insane.  That being said, Shanghai is a great fit for me.  I love how busy and exciting this city is.  Public transportation is great and I can actually walk around. At night.  With money and my phone.  Such a nice chance of pace from Honduras.  China definitely has its challenges (like how everyone spits everywhere, it is pretty crowded and the kid who pooped in my elevator...while I was in there...but I digress), but overall I am really happy here.  My job is great, I've made some good friends, and I will be able to save money AND travel around Asia, so its a win, win, win.


My Best Friends Wedding!
I was lucky enough to be able to make the journey from Shanghai to Charleston in October to see Kathy get married.  It took me 3 days to adjust to the time difference and I was only in town for 6, but I made the most of my time in Chucktown and was even able to squeeze in a trip to target.  Woo!     Being apart of her special day was amazing, plus I got to see most of my Newington Forrest family. It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.


Coming Home for Christmas
When I left Orlando in August I was sure I wouldn't be able to afford to come home for Christmas.  Luckily my new job pays me quite well and I have recently been informed that my company will pay for 1 flight home a year, so coming home for the holidays was a possibility I couldn't pass up.  I leave next Saturday and I am beyond pumped to see my Florida family for a whole 10 days!

Can't wait to see these guys!

Best Trip of 2014:
Either my time in London with Jill over New Year or Nicaragua with my Honduran roomie Alexa.  London is always amazing and it was great to celebrate with friends in my favourite city.  Its a tie with Nicaragua because I had such a blast volcano boarding in Leon and loved the town of Grenada.  I can't wait to go back!


Now I have plenty to look forward to in 2015.  I should finally be able to pay off my student loans and I have several amazing trips in the works for this year.  When I come back after Christmas I have plans to go to Myanmar for 10 days and then Cambodia or the Philippines in April.  I'll also be checking out the west coast for the first time this summer, heading to Vegas for the first time to celebrate a friends birthday, and possibly heading back to England and Brussels in July.  Heres hoping 2015 is even better than 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment