Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving Success

Being away from home during the Holidays never gets any easier.  This year marked my 5th(!!) Thanksgiving abroad.  And while I still miss my Uncle Tom's carrots, I am finding it a lot easier to celebrate with friends from all over the world as my culinary skills improve.

This year, a small group of us decided to try out a restaurant here in Shanghai that was serving up an all-you-can-eat/drink Cajun Thanksgiving.   It was delicious.  They had all of the Thanksgiving classics that I was missing (minus green bean casserole and the famous carrots mentioned above), plus some amazing Andouille stuffing and a Shrimp Cheesecake that definitely need to be added to my list for future gatherings.  I had a great time and I actually got to eat a Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving, 12 hours before everyone back home.  I'd consider that a major success.

Since so many of my friends in Shanghai don't normally get to celebrate Thanksgiving, a friend decided to host a party at her apartment and I agreed to cook the turkey.  Everyone who knows about my bone phobia is probably wondering how I managed to pull if off, but with a little help and only a few tears I was able to cook a 16lb turkey in a toaster oven and it turned out pretty well...if I do say so myself.  Check out the picture below of it cooking:
Photo Credit: Danille
We had a great night celebrating with people from South Africa, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, England, Ireland, China, and the US.  These are the days that remind me why I love teaching halfway around the world and can tolerate (barely) being away from home during the holidays.  

Now its only 3 weeks until I am back in (hopefully) warmer Florida, celebrating Christmas with my family.  Woo!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment