Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Seriously, January?

As January has come to a close I can finally take some time to reflect on my first 5 months in Shanghai.  When I left to go back to Florida for Christmas I almost didn't want to leave.  I was having such a great time exploring my new city and I was, somehow, dealing with the cold.  Of course I had a great time visiting with family, but I was excited to get back to Shanghai.


Once I got back, I was almost wishing I had stayed in Florida.  It is cold in Shanghai.  Really cold.  And rainy.  Lets face it... I am no longer made for the winter.  I was finding the weather absolutely miserable.  It was bringing my mood now and there was no relief in sight.

The horrible weather was also coupled with the fact that several of my friends are looking for new jobs.  Like I said before, I was happy in Shanghai.  I also really like my job.  But for some reason I was feeling extremely jealous of everyone on their job search.  I want to go to Europe or Singapore or New Zealand.  Why can't I be in the process of figuring out my next adventure?

Then I realised that I was being ridiculous.  I know that everyone goes through their ups and downs and January is typically one of the worst months for expats.  This one just hit me particularly hard.  Its still cold and and I still want to travel, but life in Shanghai is pretty good.  I still like my job, even when my students are being crazy.  There is so much of this city that I haven't had the chance to explore yet.  Plus I have quite a few exciting holidays in the works so I know how thankful I should be.

Even though Puxatawney Phil saw his shadow, I am looking forward to the next 6 weeks.  I'll just make sure to bundle up a bit more and continue to remind myself all of the awesomeness that is scheduled for February and March.

February is bound to be better, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment